One of the things I most struggled with as a new mom was the idea that there were no days off. Know what I mean?
It's easy to feel as though Christmas is just another work day where we are concerned, but it's important to remember that Christmas is for mamas, too.
Here are a few thoughts to keep in mind so you can have a good, relaxing day:
- No laundry allowed. Don't even think about doing a load over the weekend unless it is an emergency. (Personally this is my policy every weekend!)
- The same goes for cleaning, aside from just tidying up as needed.
- Make rest a priority. Lay down and remind yourself what it feels like to just "hang out" when the kids are napping or otherwise engaged.
- Read something just for fun--pick a book you will enjoy purely for the sake of enjoyment.
- It's okay to let others serve you. If you're traveling to be with family, let them give you a break! Often they want to bless us in this way.
- It's also okay to work. Holidays as mamas, especially when children are younger, are not completely carefree. Accepting this and having reasonable expectations sets us up for success as opposed to disappointment.
Have a wonderful Christmas day and I'll see you back here on Monday!